You have arrived. The Discovery Gateway Children’s Museum giveaway is at the bottom of this post.
Let’s take a journey. Back to our youth. The days when you rode your bike all over town. Stayed outside all day in the summer and only came home for dinner. When toys were simple and just plain old fun. The days of the Tinkertoy. You are getting all misty eyed and nostalgic aren’t you? It’s okay… I will give you a second to grab a tissue before I talk about the awesome GIANT Tinkertoy: Build Your Imagination Exhibit at Discovery Gateway in Utah.
Now that you have had a chance to recover from that amazing trip down memory lane… Lets explore the fabulous world of Tinkertoys at Discovery Gateway. You don’t have to be a kid to let your imagination be carried away by this amazing traveling exhibit. Thanks to some fabulous sponsors, like GE and Energy Solutions, Utah is lucky to have access to tinker around until January 6th, 2013.
Some of the hands on features you and the children in your life can enjoy in the Tinkertoy: Build Your Imagination exhibit are:
Invent – Children are encouraged to think about where ideas come from, and to explore the emerging field of biomimicry – nature’s influence on design. Visitors can match real inventions with their natural inspiration and create a design of their own.
Collaborate – Dual-sided panels allow visitors to work independently or with a partner to create TINKERTOY designs.
- The Tinker Tank – A walk-in size replica of a TINKERTOY canister is the starting point for the exhibit’s challenging scavenger hunt, a must for those with an eye for detail and a nose for knowledge! The Tinker Tank contains a variety of educational materials that attest to the impact of unconventional ideas on some of the world’s greatest – and strangest – inventions, and serve as a reminder that “If at first you don’t succeed…”
- You can read about all the amazing hands on learning here.
Don’t worry about cost. This exhibit is included with your regular admission or annual pass. In fact that isn’t the only activity that is included in your admission cost:
- Time for Tots- A parent and child literacy program for children 18 months-3 years. Tuesdays at 11 am, 12 pm, 2 pm, and 3 pm
- Science Saturdays- Every Saturday, families will explore evidence, conduct experiments, and draw conclusions with different scientific themes. Saturdays at 12 pm, 2 pm, and 4 pm
- Studio 444- Led by DG’s Arts Educator, little ones, older children, and parents create masterpieces of art together using a wide variety of media. Sign up for this class at the Info Desk. Fridays at 4 pm and Saturdays at 11 am, 1 pm & 3pm (They were making the coolest sugar skulls when I was there. I wish I could have stayed longer
- Read about some of the other amazing programs offered with your admission here.
Of course Discovery Gateway Musuem still has all of the hands on learning exhibits that you have grown to love.
Like the “hive”. I may have stayed and played in there for a few minutes… or more.
You can even take a shot at being a serious newscaster… Even if your co-host has the giggles.
Really… There is just so much fun, learning, exploring, and awesomeness to be seen I could just list pictures ALL.NIGHT.LONG. (Mostly because it’s the middle of the night as I write this.)
Now… What are you waiting for??? Go visit Discovery Gateway Children’s Museum and the Tinkertoy: Build Your Imagination exhibit.
Discovery Gateway Children’s Museum:
444 West 100 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
There’s an app for that:
DGPlay App- Available for FREE on iTunes
And don’t forget to BEE a HERO
Discovery Gateway Children’s Museum Giveaway
- 1 Family Pass that admits up to 6 visitors to the Discovery Gateway ($51.00 value)
- Entering is easy just fill out the form below.
- Giveaway will end on 11/21/2012 at midnight MST
- Winner will be notified via email. If no response within 48 hours new winner will be chosen.
***Compensated giveaway. All opinions, photos, and amazing newscasting skills are my own.